cycletrip2006 Belgium to Italy via Germany, Switzerland,Austria and Slovenia

Saturday, June 24, 2006

The road up into the Alps...

had to get close to the edge at some point up there as the views were unbelievable..!!! From the summit, it was possible to see SIX countries at once. It was 2500m above sea level all in all and quite chilly but a beautiful clear day which was good for viewing.
JACK CONQUERS THE ALPS..!!!
these people have problems... the drop beneath them was massive.
just about to crest it, we came over the drop and this was in front of us all of a sudden, and it was a good feeling to see the safety of the station!
we still werent even near the top when I took this...

putting on a brave face in the cable car, as most of the time I was holding the handrail. I was convinced it was just drop, and there were kids in the carriage trying to rock it to see what would happen... I didnt know the German for "Do you want to play outside?"
after 5 hours, I reached the point where I could get to a cable car, but had a serious trouser moment when I realised how high these mountains really are. you can just make out a cable car in the middle of the picture. (My trousers are fine now...) To reach the summit by cable car, even though I was already 1300m up, it was another 1500m suspended over a sheer drop... so my trousers went again.
one of those roads Ive always seen pictures of but never cycled, and I NEVER will again..!!! ;) The hill just does not end, its corner after corner after corner and it left me about 10 pounds lighter..!!!
to get to just the base of the mountains, I first had to cycle uphill 1300m. It took about 5 hours, as the sun was so hot (again), and in places the road so steep that if you stopped, to get started again you have to be at a right angle on the road and turn up into the hill. I just couldnt turn the pedals otherwise... it was all great fun tho..!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home