cycletrip2006 Belgium to Italy via Germany, Switzerland,Austria and Slovenia

Friday, June 23, 2006

The Great Escape into Switzerland

the son (sorry, but at the mo, I really cant remember the names!!! Ill update) is planning to travel the world with a friend for TWO years in this landrover they took apart and customised themselves... hes only 23 and had some proper knowledge about all things mechanical... his mate done they spray job. they were such great hosts and done a lot for me, and ill miss them.
one the roadside just by their house, this was where lightening had struck a few years before. Also, he told me that one of the local farmers had had ball lightening pass through his barn, leaving a perfect circle through all the wooden walls there...
this is his son and one of his daughters, who set up a campfire and got me a few beers, and we watched a full moon come up over the Alps that night, and it lit them up so bright, but the photie came put a tad pants... soz about the blur, but I was drunk for a change...
this is him, with his brother who owned this restaurant in Appenzell. EVERYTHING in the picture that is made of wood, came from his buisness... they do some seriously quality work there, as he took me around the showroom and you could see they took pride in it.
I went around Appenzell one night with the owner of the house who knew a lot of pople there, as he owned a very succesful carpentry buisness. He bumped into a friend who has an interest in bicycles from the WWII, this being one of them..! It still had the holster on it, and to brake you pedelled backwards, and as Id had a few, I nearly slammed it into a shop wall... Oh, how he laughed...
one of the many different flowers they had gown in their garden, most were wild apparently.
tent pitched, cue BBQs and Beers garcon...
I ended up staying a few nights with a really welcoming familly in Appenzell
whose house I called at to ask about camping nearby, but as always people here take you in and look after you. This was a shot of just part of their garden where I pitched the tent and had yet another great panorama of the big Alps, which were now only a days cycling away...
As I got further into Switzerland, towards Appenzel, the scenery became more and more "perfect". Everywhere you look its like a painting, with perfect fields and farms.
Catherderal exterior...
Inside the amazing Cathederal in St Gallen... beautiful place with a breathtaking fresco on the ceiling...
Officially in Switzerland when I saw the flag..!
At Romanspoint, or nearby, with the Alps getting closer in the background..! Also, downing my first daily beers...
saw this limited edition 100th anniversary Harley, and took it for my big three legged bro... hiya Paul lad..!!!
This was taken at the "check point" (really pants one) as I crossed from Germany into Switzerland... I had to ask to make sure I was actually in another country as you just roll on by..!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home