cycletrip2006 Belgium to Italy via Germany, Switzerland,Austria and Slovenia

Monday, May 29, 2006

Cologne to Koblenz via the Rhine


this was German Corner, were Eberhard and I were too busy chatting about the WWII and instead of following the Rhine, we ended up 50ks down the Mosel..!!! It was a really nice region tho, with vineyards over almost sheer cliffs. Even mistakes turn out well..! You can see the Rhine going in the other direction, around the back of the monument.

I didn´t get this ladies name, but we had a good laugh at the campsite bar in Bad Briesig on the Rhine. I got some good advice about the trip down to Constance and also some free drink and good solid German food.

this was a marker of how high the flood waters have reached on the MOSEL river. The reason we were on the Mosel was that we took the wrong bloody river (!!!) at a place called Deutscher Eck, German Corner.

this was Eberhard, which means "strong boar" apparently. he was 70 years old and totally commited to cycling. two weeks prior he completed a marathon cycle, then the next day embarked on cycing around Germany and was on his final leg to Munich when I teamed up with him as we were going the same way. He had some stories to tell, one of them being his serving in the army at the same place as Elvis. Also when I meet him again in Munich, I can have a copy of a photo of the two of them in the German base..! Also, he has a copy of a track Elvis recorded of a German song he used to hear the troops singing on the march. Good stuff..!
Anyway, we´ve parted ways for now until I reach Munich, but it´s easier for me as I had a really hard time keeping up with him... 70 YEARS OLD!!


on the campsite, there was a convention of all these old Citoren cars, and the next day as I continued down the Rhine, loads of them kept driving up to the meeting... proper enthusiasts...

in my tent, which is large, but my feet still stick out the end...

Cycling down the Rhine with a break in the weather, I decided to chill out for an hour and ate some fresh bread and olives I´d brought from a market in the main square in Bonn...
again...

I´ll say no more...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home